Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Grocery Day!



  The bread was a hit! This morning we had fried eggs and buttered toast- yummy! Summer eggs are beyond delicious They are so lovely to look at;  deep yellow yolks, almost orange really, even the whites seem to fry up whiter- altogether perfect.  


Dalew sliced ham is perfect in sandwiches, chopped up in a
salad or fried up along some eggs for breakfast.


   Today was grocery day, and one of those grocery days when the cupboards are bare! I baked the rest of the dough for bread, picked up my half share of CSA veggies and eggs from Dalew Farms, stopped by Eat Local Sudbury for some sugar and canola oil, and rounded out the trip at my local grocer who now carries Farquhar's Dairy and Thornloe Cheese for a block of cheddar, milk, and some butter. 


Eggs, Granulated Maple Sugar, Butter, Cheese, Milk, Green &
Yellow Beans, Snap Peas, Zucchini, Potatoes, Lettuce, Cabbage
and Broccoli.

 
    I am an all or nothing sort, well a recovering all or nothing sort. I will have this picture in front of me and only see what is not in the picture. Like the marshmallows in the cupboard I bought for a campfire with the kids, the slice of cake at a friends house or the orange juice I use for my morning smoothie in the fridge. I get discouraged with myself and think,  if I cannot get it 100% local, what difference am I making?   I am still plagued by Locavore Dilemmas: Can I really bake bread all year round? What the hell am I going to do with all these radishes? 

   As I said, I am recovering from this kind of thinking, I continue to seek ways to have local food, if I can get it locally, I do. I am replacing as much as I can, growing as much as I can, and getting better all the time. More importantly I am thinking about local food and talking to others and learning all the time. I may have ketchup in the fridge this year, but who knows? When the tomatoes are ready I may make it myself.

   If you're interested in having a veggies CSA share there are some available at Dalew Farms. A bin full of locally grown veggies every week, check out this web site for more info: http://www.dalewfarms.ca/. You'll be delighted!






   

No comments:

Post a Comment