Monday, July 4, 2011

Strawberry Infatuation

    My greatest regret from last summer was not having picked enough strawberries. I woefully under picked, and did without for a long time. However, beside myself with strawberry lust, I surrendered my politics and have been buying strawberries from the grocer for a month or so, the justice in this is that they taste of nothing, like water for chocolate as they say...
    Today was my first pick of the season, I packed up my kids and four 4L baskets and off we went to Beaulieu Farms in Chelmsford.  
so plentiful


    At home I used the fancy tool Shannon A. gave me last summer to hull three of the baskets. I have three cookies sheets of strawberries in the freezer downstairs. I lined the pans with parchment paper and lined up the berries so they would freeze separately, ready for smoothies. 
I also made 1 container of strawberry preserves using a recipe from a book I've borrowed from the library- super simple- 
4 cups sliced strawberries, 
1 tbsp corn starch, 
3/4 sugar (I used maple sugar from Sucrerie Seguin)
cook over medium heat for 5 minutes,

Enjoy & freeze!

  After our all local dinner, chicken, salad, and roasted potatoes we enjoyed some strawberries and cream.  

They were so dedicated! *sigh*
Shannon D.

No comments:

Post a Comment