Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kohlrabi Fritters (Alien Smackdown)

This is kohlrabi:



    It is a cousin to the cabbage,  a very exotic cousin.  When I first discovered this peculiar vegetable in my CSA box, I had to do some work to identify it and figure out how to serve it. So far, its been raw, raw, raw and more raw. It's bland and I am bored of it.

   Last weekend, at a visit to my friend's cottage I managed to weave kohlrabi into the conversation. My friend Kelly's husband Jamie told me about the kohlrabi fritters he had made, which sounded delicious. Immediately I imagined crunchy little kohlrabi buddies to delight the family, maybe even pakora?  Thank you Jamie, for the inspiration!

  I couldn't wait until he sent me his recipe, I searched the internet and found My Conscious Eating, an awesome food blog, which I am now following.  I followed the recipe at the above link.  
Local eggs, local flour

Local Kohlrabi, grated.

Add the herbs, yummy (but not local)

Local oil, hot and ready.
Drop in a spoonful and smash it flat.

Set on a plate, cue ohhha and ahhhs.
   I did change the recipe, I left out the mint and coriander and used cumin, but not enough, next time I'll be more generous. I have so many onions I added extra.  The final result is good, I put them in my toaster oven for extra crispiness.  They are a bit to eggy, I likely could have done with only one egg, but they are good, an excellent starting off point.  I hope there is a new Kohlrabi in tonight's CSA box!

   I have a new tasty treat to test and perfect, all thanks to the farmers at Dalew and Jamie's brilliant inspiration. Those alien cabbage won't be messing with me, I'll grate them up, drop them in hot oil, smash them and eat them. AHAHA!






No comments:

Post a Comment