Monday, June 25, 2012

So Far So Good!


I'm finally sitting down, after spending the past two days putting up 12 Litres of strawberries! I've managed to make 3 different kinds of strawberry freezer jam, 2 kinds of cooked strawberry jam, and a batch of strawberry passion syrup with a bi-product of spiced strawberry butter. Phew! Tomorrow we go back and pick berries for eating and freezing and I'd also like to make Rhubeena with the rhubarb I picked at a friend's house.

Eating local is going very well. Friday, the kids and I made our own pizzas:


The dough was a simple recipe from my Moosewood Cookbook...just yeast, Board's Honey, Poschaven Farms Unbleached Flour, and salt.

I made a pizza sauce from my canned tomato sauce, herbs and some of the leftover spinach/scape pesto. We used Burt's Farms salami instead of pepperoni, and topped it all with Thornloe cheese and shredded kale from the back yard. The kids said it was the best pizza EVER!

Saturday night we were at a special little friend's Birthday Party, so I didn't need to cook.

Sunday night we grilled a beautiful rainbow trout I caught at our cottage the weekend before. We grilled it whole in a basket, stuffed with garden herbs and a few lemon slices. We made a yummy salad with Dalew lettuce, spinach, green onions, Thornloe Cheese, and a vinaigrette made with the raspberry vinegar I put up quite a while back, Pristine Gourmet Canola Oil, and Board's Honey. We also ate some pickled beans and beets.


Tonight was a very simple dinner. We sautéed some tender young backyard kale with the leftover pesto, BBQ'd potatoes with rosemary, and my kid's favourite Cheddar Smokies from Burt's Farms.



Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment