Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer Time and the Eating is Easy

  Coming in a bit late, but I am here nonetheless.  As the school year ends and summer takes hold, I am beginning to relax and ready to begin blogging for summer.  As Shannon A. pointed out in her first post, eating local is just how we do things, pretty much the norm in this house. However, I get a little nervous as blogging approaches, wondering am I still on track?

Quick Summary:
  - every Friday I visit the staff at Eat Local to pick up Farquar's Milk, Thornloe Cheese, and some meat from Dalew, Burt's, or Golden Beef
- Dalew Farms takes care of our veggies thru the summer, and eggs year round.
- Brabant chickens year round, we've finally gotten into the habit of cutting the meat apart, wings, breasts and legs BEFORE we freeze the chickens.
- Although my passion for my garden is waning, I continue to grow vegetables. Tomatoes are my favourite to grow.

Yup, pretty much old hat.  Routine. Truth is, I'm pretty proud of that.

   This summer my family isn't planning to travel very much, we plan to stay close to home and enjoy some stay-cations.  So, along with a renewal of the local bread experiment, some of my better recipes, I thought I'd include some great local places for a family to visit.

To celebrate our first day of summer vacation, we had pancakes- all local, all delicious.

From the Fridge


to the table!

Pancakes

2 Dalew or farm fresh eggs
1 cup of Farquar's skim millk
1 1/2 cups of Pocshaven Organic All Purpose Flour
Seguin Maple Sugar to taste, 

Mix, I like mine more crepe than cake, adjust flour to liquid ratio as you desire.

Serve with Farquar's butter, Seguin Maple Syrup, or fresh strawberries from Beaulieu Farms.

Celebrate Summer!





No comments:

Post a Comment