Saturday, September 4, 2010

happiness is in the harvest

note the accurate date stamp!

     Earlier today my daughter and I went outside to get some air and check on my garden, which had been ignored all week because I had been overwhelmed with back to work angst. My tomato babies had exploded, so many were red and ready. The cold today had me worried about my green tomatoes. I am terrible for forgetting to cover the tomatoes, so I decided to bring them in where I could keep a close eye on them and protect them from the frost.
   You'll notice I did manage one zucchini, tiny carrots, lovely purple onions, four summer squash, two green peppers (a first) and a squat little cuke. A good day. Gardens are so forgiving, despite a few weeks of neglect the harvest is still abundant.
  I feel much better about the days ahead. At Eat Local Sudbury, I discovered Pure Maple Granulated Sugar- seriously, local sugar!! It was pricey for sure, but my coffee this morning was perfection. I am looking forward to trying it out in something for the kids lunches. 
  At ELS I found myself feeling lost again. All summer I have been enjoying smokies, salami, sausages, keilbasa, ground meats but I haven't made a roast in months. I had to ask where to find tenderloin and other roast meats. April at Eat Local is so patient with me, always helpful and willing to answer my ridiculous questions- thanks April. Next week, when I have more time to dig, I'll be cooking a Sunday roast in the slow cooker. 
  I am glad this project is extending into September- we live so differently, eat so differently, that local shopping has new challenges. Tonight it's grill cheese with Niagara peaches for dessert, my kitchen has been working all day to keep up with cleaning veggies and I cannot bear to mess it up further.

Feeling more positive today, Shannon D.

No comments:

Post a Comment