Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Priorities have shifted and we are getting a little weak.

I am up to my eyeballs in vegetables and in the middle of a pickling/canning marathon this week so I haven't had the chance to post about our meals. It's been so incredibly hot this week (killer when you are standing over pots of boiling liquids, and a hot water canner!) so I haven't wanted to cook, but like Shannon D. mentioned in her last post, because the fridge is full of local stuff, we are still  mostly on track with our project. But I definitely haven't been doing my best. :-( Last night was good. I found a couple cobs of corn that needed eating from last week's CSA box, and I figured "Hey, it's a billion degrees in here already, what's one more pot of  boiling water?", so we had corn and Burt Farms Cheddar Smokies (cooked on the BBQ) on a bun for dinner.


 Monday night was a fail because I decided that despite all the work that needed doing, we needed to go to the beach even more. I had book club that night, a sitter coming, and frankly PB & J sandwiches for the kids (out of local PB and only had store bought bread), and a 2 minutes in the microwave Biryani rice pouch I've had sitting in the basement since the spring, was all I have the time, desire and strength to make. Hanging my head in shame!  At book club however, our host Melanie, a board member of ELS, put out a beautiful spread of Thornloe cheese, Dalew Veggies and Hawberry Jelly from Manitoulin Island along with a few other treats. 


Sunday we ordered in pizza. 


I'm not sure what tonight has in order. It's icky hot again today, we have 2 different kinds of pickles to make and it's CSA pickup day, so we will have veggies to put away tonight. I think maybe we will just suck on ice cubes.


Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment