Sunday, August 29, 2010

Locavore in Crisis!

     Things have been a little rough around here. I am in deep denial about the end of summer, I can't seem to come to to terms with the return to work and all the kids programs- I have loved being home and having the time to plan and think at leisure about food, books, my garden, the kids, all of it.  I began to panic a little about how I am going to manage eating local while working.


    While I was pouting and sulking about all this, I made quick work of most meals around here- sandwiches, snacks, etc. All the while feeling control slip from my grasp. Last night my husband made dinner, he sliced some smokies into coins and fried them up in some garlic, butter, yellow zucchini, Ontario red wine, and sour cream. The result was a light creamy sauce over smokies and zucchini, colourful and delicious.


    Half way through my bowl I realized that everything in it was local- except the wine, of course. I had to laugh at myself really, I was so worried that I wouldn't have time to devote to planning ahead that I missed the obvious- the fridge is full of local food- I don't need to do anything differently than I am doing now- continue to shop local and the rest will figure itself out.


    So, in the coming weeks I will be doing my best to send local lunches to school with my kids and I, and meal planning will become more serious. For today, it was enough to drink wine and soak in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment