Friday, August 6, 2010

Stabbed in the Back with a Cheese Knife

     I sent the husband out to get some milk yesterday- we were three days away from Friday and completely out, thus a trip to the grocery store was required. I was very grateful because he took the kids and that allowed me to putter about in the kitchen without interference, a rare and exquisite luxury. When he returned he came in with a bag of oranges- which he announced were from South Africa, a block of brand name cheese, bananas and a bag of milk. Seriously.


   Part of Terry's wind down from work routine includes picking up a few things at the grocer's on the way home. He loves to find deals in the reduced to clear bread and produce racks. It thrills him to get a bag of avocados, a loaf of onion sour dough or Naan for rock bottom prices. This summer he has had that part of his routine taken from him. Since, I still haven't found my way to baking my own bread- I appreciate that he gets the bread and feel alright about it since he's saving it from being thrown out.


  I could even partially understand the bananas and oranges- no such thing as a local banana or orange and he shopped with the kids, who love both. To his credit he did pay attention to where they came from, it just didn't stop him from buying.


  It's the cheese that completely vexed me because we have two kinds of cheese in the fridge and they sell Thornloe where he went.  But, the brand name cheese was on sale, and that proved too much temptation for the old man. 


   Words were had. If I understood him right, Terry felt that the sale price justified the purchase. He also seemed to think we were out of cheese or that we didn't have enough cheese. I, on the other hand, felt very differently. Cheese is one of the simplest ways to eat local- very little effort required. Thornloe is sold at all of our regular grocers, it is delicious but never goes on sale.  To buy the sale cheese, in my opinion was careless. We can afford the cheese, and we need to support local sources of food in order to ensure they aren't swallowed whole by sale priced cheese sellers.






   The grocery store is very bewitching with all the red tags and reduced prices and amazing availability. I understand the urge to scoop up a good deal, or how the curved lines of yellow bananas can seduce you. Oh, I get it. I feel the same about coffee, chocolate, hot dogs, english muffins and chips. Here's my bent- if a local choice is available, then we should make every effort to buy it local.  


   But I am not ready to give up on some non local items- yeast, olive oil, or sugar. Which causes me to worry- is my desire to have what I want shaping my politics? Is what I am doing, really making a difference? I am sincerely concerned about the impact industrial food has on the environment and people- I want to make socially responsible choices. I am not about to give up on the progress made, but I am going to have to do some more thinking about bananas and oranges.


Shannon D.

1 comment:

  1. I have this same fight over carrots. I live about 20 mins from the Holland Marsh. The mascot for the Town of Bradford (only 30 mins away) is a g-d carrot.

    Yet there are bags and bags of carrots "Grown in the USA" in the nearby grocery stores that are consistently cheaper. I don't understand.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete