Sunday, August 1, 2010

Treasures At The Market

It's early Sunday morning, so I thought I'd take a moment to blog. Keith's at work, the kids are still sleeping, and it is so quiet outside. The sky was very red this morning, which probably means the BBQ we will be going to tonight, will be a wet one. That's okay though. My garden needs a good watering! I'm dreading our next water bill. It rained so much last summer that I only had to water with the hose three times. I've had to do that every week this summer! 


The kids and I went in to the Farmer's Market yesterday morning for the first time this summer. We didn't go there looking for anything specific, other than the "Barbie Lady's booth" for Sydney. We always have the same routine when we go. We walk the row of the outdoor stands, then head over to buy a Barbie dress, then we walk inside to buy some baked treats. Yesterday we picked up another big head of broccoli for dinner tonight and a basket of pickling cukes. If I'd felt more devoted to cooking dinner last night, I also would have picked up the baby zucchinis to make the "Zucanoes" recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook. Next week perhaps.


Then of course we found The Barbie Lady...my daughter's dream seamstress. Kathy's table is set up with several carousels filled with intricately sewn gowns, capes, formal fitted dresses as well as skirts, pyjamas, tops and pants for Barbie as well as play and formal wear for Ken. For $6 a little girl can pick out her dress, and then Kathy will toss in a matching boa, beaded necklace, purse, crinoline and sometimes shoes! If you purchase a wedding dress, which I believe is $8, she will also add a bouquet of flowers and a garter! Sydney's Barbies have acquired a spectacular collection of Ms. Kathy's gowns over the past 3 or 4 years now. 


Inside we bought a loaf of CJ's whole wheat bread, and a book for Cameron to store the special edition quarters he's been collecting, before leaving to hit ELS for milk before finishing off our morning with a latte and some playtime at Chapters. I knocked off another batch of jam in the afternoon...Peach Melba. The peaches are Ontario grown and the raspberries are from my neighbours backyard (with permission of course!!).


As far as our meals are going....


Friday I decided to order in pizza since the kids and I had both eaten completely local meals earlier in the day (kids lunch, me breakfast). As far as I know the pizzeria we order from isn't a chain, and is locally owned. It's right behind my house, and they make really good pizza....and on a Friday, that's handy! Last night Keith and I finished off the Shepard's Pie and the kids ate PB & J sandwiches...CJ's bread, peanut butter from ELS and homemade strawberry jam.


Tonight's dinner should be fun, if we aren't rained out. Keith's Dad invited us over and is looking forward to doing it local. He's going to BBQ some Dalew lamb and we are going to iron out the rest of our menu later this morning. Full report tomorrow!


Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment