Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sunny Saturday

Just when I thought the heat was gone, we were treated to a beautiful, warm afternoon. Unfortunately I was committed to the laundry heap, and cleaning out Sydney's closet to make room for her new school clothes, so I didn't get out to enjoy much of it, but I did fire up the BBQ for supper. We ate beautiful pork loin chops from Dalew Farm marinated in rosemary, a honey dijon mustard from ELS, and some EVOO, potatoes with herbs and onions, and steamed broccoli with a homemade cheese sauce. Last time we had broccoli, the kids reluctantly ate their little trees without their beloved Cheez Whiz, but I could tell they weren't very happy about it, so I didn't want to push my luck.  I made a roux out of equal amounts of melted butter and flour, cooked it for a minute or so, whisked it some milk and heated until it thickened and mixed in some shredded cheddar....everything locally sourced!! It was really good. So good Sydney had seconds of her broccoli! Mission accomplished.


For dessert I made a beautiful peach sorbet, the recipe I found at The Food Illusion. I should have chilled the peach puree first because my ice cream maker couldn't keep up with the warmth in the kitchen, so it didn't freeze up properly. It also wasn't ready until after the kids went to bed, so Keith and I indulged in extra large bowls. 


Friday night we had BLT's, the kids had grilled cheese, and we were all treated to the best ears of corn yet. Cameron captured it best when he said "Farmer Dave grows THE BEST corn!". He also said this earlier this week about the cherry tomato he bit in to that burst and blew seeds across the table, in to my hair, and all over my clothes!


Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment