Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Locavore Dinner 2

Pork Chops, Spelt Pasta and Peas
I had a side dish panic attack tonight. I planned for the pork chops and took those out of the freezer this morning, but didn't give a second thought to what we would eat with them! 4:30 arrived and it was still pouring rain, so grilling the chops with potatoes was out of the question, and since we had fries last night, I wasn't really in the mood for them anyways. Of course, rice doesn't grow around here, and I haven't been to Eat Local Sudbury to see if they have any grains in stock. The only local product I could find in the cupboard was a bag of Spelt Flour from Grass Roots Organics of Desboro, ON. That's just over 400kms away, but since we lost our supplier from New Liskeard last summer, this has been one of our only choices for flour. I found a recipe for spelt pasta online and went to work.


It turned out great! I served it simply with butter, Thornloe Asiago cheese and pepper. I pulled out a jar of plum sauce I canned last summer for the pork chops and some peas from the freezer to round out the meal. The kids gobbled it down, which is better than any compliment!



Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment