Friday, June 24, 2011

Zucchini Frittata

    I've been wanting to shake things up in the kitchen lately, this is  a new dish for us, although we've had it in restaurants, this is my first homemade frittata. And I am very pleased, very pleased indeed..


Zucchini Frittata, yummy and fun to say!

Here's my adapted recipe:
* ingredients italicized are not local

1 very large frozen zucchini 
Pristine Gourmet Canola Oil
7 eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 cup of 1% Farquhar's milk
1 cup feta 
oregano
garlic
salt and pepper
Thornloe Cheddar
Dalew Smoked Ham


Preheat Broiler (mine is default to 550C)     

In a bowl whisk together 7 eggs, 3 egg whites, milk, and feta.

Heat oil in oven safe skillet, add zucchini, cook until tender. I drained some of the liquid off because it seemed like far too much, perhaps because I had coined my zucchini, instead of shredding, before I froze it, which also meant seeds in the dish.  Add finely chopped garlic and oregano to skillet and cook for 1 minute.

Add the egg mixture, allow to cook for approximately 5 minutes, using a spatula to lift the mixture from the sides and bottom, letting the liquid slip behind and under the cooked egg. 

Remove from heat while still liquidy on top, sprinkle cheese on top and finely chopped smoked ham. Put in the oven at least 6 inches from broiler cook for 5 minutes or until  puffy and golden. 

Serve with your favourite salad, we did a not so local Caesar, and TADA!! 

My tip:  put your oven mitt over the skillet handle, so you don't grab it and burn yourself like I did, YOWSA!!

This makes quite a lot, lovely leftovers for breakfast and lunch.

What's even better is the source from this adapted recipe; the book below The Gourmet Cookbook which I picked up for fifty cents at my local library. It's huge, over 1000 recipes and full of Chef's tips and other useful information. I would never have bought this book on my own or at full price, but now that I have it, it's quickly becoming a go to cookbook.

 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds/looks wuuunderful -- and all the ingredients are in my fridge. Keep wafting the meal ideas my way!

    ReplyDelete