Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 3 - Things got a whole lot easier

It's Wednesday and that means CSA pickup night! The kids and I went in early so we could check out Eat Local Sudbury to see what was available. I am now confident that this is going to be a breeze! I found bison, beef, elk, deer, fish, lamb, perogies, cabbage rolls, tourtieres, ice cream, milk, butter, cheese, beans...and the list goes on and on. I even found milk in old school bottles! Sadly for Mrs Duguay, I did not spot any hot dogs though. ;-) I did however notice several products with their food miles marked on their signs, which I found incredibly satisfying. The reminder that what I am eating has travelled significantly less from field to table than most grocery store item go from distributor to shelf...let alone from field to processing, from processing to distributor and then from the store to my house...is what is going to keep my going. Tonight I left with Thornloe cheeses, bison sausage patties, hamburger patties, milk and butter, pea sprouts and goat cheese and a lot of excitement.This store will definitely be a weekly stop.

My bin from the farm included several other goodies including snow peas, shelling peas, lettuces, arugula and bok choi. (There may be more...I haven't gone through the entire thing yet.) I also got another dozen eggs. By the time we got home it was getting pretty late, so I decided to cook up the bison sausage, scramble some eggs and dig in to the fresh peas. Cameron isn't feeling well, so he only ate half his eggs and went to bed. Sydney and I were quite pleased with our dinner.

This is fun!

Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment