Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 7- Serious Improvement

    The trip to the market and Eat Local Store (ELS) has turned this thing around for me terrifically.  This morning I used the Whole Spelt Flour purchased at ELS to make crepes. The recipe I use is a variation from one I found in the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen (pg 142)- purchased at least 15 years ago and still in regular use. I never liked the density of pancakes. My aunt Cathy makes a thin pancake and over the years I have written down her recipe at least seven times on lined notepad paper. Inevitably the copy gets lost in my purse, recipe books, drawers, wherever- so I have relied upon the Moosewood recipe because that book is very large and difficult to lose, an important note for cookbook publishers, you're welcome.


The recipe I use is a blend of my aunts and the Moosewood:


1 large egg 
(I used my last egg, which was not local. Finding local eggs is trickier than I had anticipated) 
1 1/4 cups milk (thank you Farquar's)
1 cup Whole Spelt Flour (ELS)
here's where I get creative:
1/2 cup yoghurt (use less, or instead, of milk) or 1/4 cup sugar or 1/2 cup sour cream


Mix ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour into a hot frying pan, use butter for the pan. Make as thin or as thick as you like. I like mine paper thin, so  I tilt the pan on an angle so the pancake batter will spread easily and thinly across the pan. I watch carefully for bubbles to form on the surface. Once I feel confident that my pancake will hold its shape, I butter the tip of my spatula so it will slip easily between the pan and pancake and flip it. After only a few seconds (10-30 depending on heat) the pancake is ready to transfer to a plate and enjoy!


I sliced strawberries and served with the last of our fake table syrup. 


My son, Jonah, 5, was apprehensive at first, I usually make the pancakes with white flour. He ate his way through half and then complained "Mom, there's something hard in my pancakes." I explained that the flour was whole grain and was less smooth than the other flour, but much healthier for us. Unconvinced he mumbled, "I think you left the egg shell in."  


Lunch was grilled cheese using Thornloe's Finest with some leftover brown bread. And dinner was leftovers. 


This transition period, using products form before the challenge, does make it easier. Not only because the products are accessible (in the pantry) but also because I know what to buy next week. I am so much more mindful of the food we are eating, and what we will need to have ready for tomorrow. Which reminds me, I must take the chicken out to thaw before bed.


The very best part of my day, was getting a potential lead on local hot dogs.  I'll let you know how that pans out tomorrow.


Mrs Duguay

No comments:

Post a Comment