Thursday, July 29, 2010

LETTUCE BREAKTHROUGH

    I'd all but decided never to grow my own lettuce again, I never get heads of lettuce just random leaves that wilt within hours of being picked. This week I cut a good bunch of Buttercrunch lettuce from my garden with one last plan to make lettuce growing work for me.  I managed to outfox the wilting and now have crisp fresh lettuce waiting for me all week. Here's how I managed it:


1. I filled a retired ice cream bucket one third full with cool water.
2. I pulled the lettuce out by the root and put it in the bucket, roots in the water.


The lettuce in the bucket looked like a bouquet. I finished some yard work and went into the house, where I employed the long forgotten salad sac! My salad sac looks like a white terry cloth towel sewed up into a drawstring bag, my Mom put it in my stocking a few Christmases ago, purchased at Kitchen Bits. 


3. Once inside, I prepared the salad sac: rinse the whole bag under water and ring it dry so that it feels cool and slightly damp.
4. I cleaned the lettuce and chopped it up.
5. Put the lettuce in the bag.








I've been munching on this lettuce like a rabbit. Nothing beats growing your own food, I absolutely love when I serve something I've planted, picked and prepared myself.  When Terry says "umm, those were great green beans" I take a special pride in replying- I made them myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment