Monday, July 19, 2010

Seek and ye shall find- Northern Flavours!

        I've had a few questions lately about my lead on a local hotdog- Creative Meats, I wondered why their products weren't sold at the ELS shop. This Friday, when I was doing my weekly grocery at ELS I asked, and the staff person told me about Northern Flavours at 106 Beech Street, Sudbury, a delightful little cafe that specializes in northern foods and products. Baked goods can be purchased as well as meat from Creative Meats. I was so excited! I bought some pepperoni and bacon as well as bread and ice cream cones for the kids. Turns out I can place an order by calling Creative Meats and they will deliver it to Northern Flavours where I can pick it up, just like that!
       
       This really drives home my point about eating local- it's not what I buy, but rather where I buy that makes the difference. Eating Local hasn't limited me nearly as much as I had expected. Once I found Eat Local, it all seemed so much easier, to add Northern Flavours means I have the luxury of two amazing choices.


      Last week, I came to the realization that I am not likely to bake my own bread. A lovely idea, definitely an occasional treat, but as my primary source of bread- no dice. So where to get my bread? I asked the staff at Eat Local for some suggestions.  There is no clear, as of yet, baker in town who uses local flour, butter, eggs etc, so the next step is to support a local business and buy fresh bread rather than bread shipped from miles and miles away. I bought a loaf at Northern Flavours, which was made locally.
My thinking on this is as follows- the environmental cost of shipping flour, sugar etc. to a bakery who will bake bread locally and, without all the junk to make it last two weeks on a shelf, is less than buying bread shipped baked and packaged from out of town.


     I was away this weekend, but had done my shopping before I left. When I arrived at camp I stocked the fridge with my weekly groceries and every meal had its lion's share of local foods. It was a great weekend away, camping lent itself well to being away from home but still managing to eat local. I can't wait to hear how Mrs Allen's trip s going.

No comments:

Post a Comment