Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 11 -14 Eat Local Hits the Road

        Summer is my favourite the time for traveling with family, with no work (other than house and yard work) to return to, the whole trip takes on the relaxed feeling all vacations should have.  The kids and I are heading to Blue Mountain for a little glamping (glamour meets camping) getaway. 
        
       I have tried to source out the farmer's market and Eat Local Shops for the Collingwood/Wasaga/Blue Mountains area with little success. I want to check it out for two reasons; firstly because my awareness of the ease of eating local has revealed that once you find the source the rest is fairly easy, and secondly a genuine sense of community exists at markets and local shops which would lend some interest to our trip.  And of course I want to see what I can buy local there and bring home to share.


     For the road trip I have packed local strawberries and ham and cheese sandwiches. Last night I was worrying about not having made a 100% all local dinner yet and we are nearing the end of week 2. The overstock in my fridge and pantry are dwindling down, when I get back I will begin wrestling with pasta and bread. Mrs Allen is on speed dial already, expect a call Monday good buddy.

1 comment:

  1. Have a great trip Shannon! I can't wait to hear what you find there. And don't worry about the food in the pantry...it will still be good come October and you can still be eating them for breakfast and lunch!

    ReplyDelete