Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Book Club and Blueberries

       I had a difficult time dragging myself away from the lake yesterday, if not for Book Club and the opportunity to hang out with terrific friends and discuss a delightful summer book The Forgotten Garden  by Kate Morton. I would have stayed dockside.  I did however linger at the lake long enough that when I got home I had a tough time scrounging up a local menu for my guests.


      
          We had our meeting in my backyard around a little fire. I served a mixed platter of Thornloe cheeses (medium cheddar and garden vegetable mozzarella), Some Burt's Farm pepperoni, carrots, cucumber, and green and yellow beans with a yoghurt chive and cumin dip. 


           As for the not local foods, the usual suspects for me- bread, nacho chips and embarrassingly: salsa. If I'd thought ahead I could have bought salsa at ELS. We also had ice cream cones- again if I'd planned ahead I would've bought local at the ELS. I can get Thornloe cheese, Farquhar's butter and chocolate milk, but I can't get the milk or ice cream. 



          While I was at camp, Terry did some exploring behind the lawn on our property only to discover a goldmine of blueberry bushes!  We've lived here for some time, but have been preoccupied with the kids  and whatever... Anyhow, Terry cut some trails so we could bring the kids along and pick some berries. Which is exactly what we did today.



         
I want to make blueberry everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment