Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Farm Fresh Eggs= Heaven

      I love fried eggs- yes I do, love 'em. It took me years to perfect the delicate technique of flipping an egg in the pan so that the yolk won't break. I love runny yolked eggs with crispy whites, fried over easy, especially with a dark rye buttered toast. Maybe add some crispy fried bacon and strong hot coffee to round out a terrific breakfast- mondo delicious.  But for me, the eggs are the star of the meal, the head liner, the draw if you will, without the eggs, the others aren't nearly as delicious.


     Last week we sussed out a farmer who sold eggs, an older couple not far from my house. I suggested Terry take my bike to their house to get the eggs, but we haven't attached a basket yet, and I suspect once we do Terry won't want to ride the bike anymore. Anyhow- these eggs are different, each one has its own unique shape, size and colour.  Some are long pale putty coloured ovals and others are squat bumpy brown spheres. I get a little giggle imagining the hens checking out each others eggs, commenting on the lovely little features of their friend's eggs- or the roosters joking; all eggs look the same. In my imagination the chickens are exactly like the hens from Chicken Run:




            These eggs aren't just beautiful on the outside- no sir, they are they most delicious eggs I have ever tasted. The yolk is bright yellow and flavourful. I am a bit of a salt hound- but I don't need to salt these lovelies.  My daughter tried to sneak an egg from my plate this morning and I nearly had a fit! MY EGG!   


See, aren't they perfect?

No comments:

Post a Comment