Thursday, July 22, 2010

Grocery List, Freezing and Supper



         Tomorrow I am off to the Eat Local Shop and Northern Flavours to pick up my weekly groceries. People often ask me if I am spending more money on food this summer, a worry that I shared at the outset. So much about eating locally produced food is about how I think about food, and I don't just mean the politics of food and the environmental impact of transporting and packaging food across the province or planet. Eating local means I need to seriously plan ahead, I go out once to get groceries for the week and when we run out, we wait till Friday. This is very liberating for me, I was terrible for stopping at the grocery store three or four times a week- needing only one thing and leaving with a bagful of stuff. I am spending less money on food this summer. Prices are usually comparable, occasionally more, but never so much so that I do without.  


     Grocery List-

  • milk (2 bags) Farquhars
  • butter 
  • sour cream
  • cheese Thornloe
  • cheese curds
  • cranberry juice
  • lettuce
  • cucumber
  • green/yellow beans
  • broccoli
  • ground pork
  • smokies
  • 2 loaves of bread
  • flour- please, please, please let there be white flour
  • maybe blueberries
  • radishes
  • carrots

      The other shift in my food thinking is how brief this season is, I often worry about the fall and winter when all this lovely freshness will be a memory. I am trying planning for the long dark season ahead, today I chopped up the remainder of my radishes and prepared them for freezing. I don't have a food packager so I use ziploc bags and stick a straw in the corner. I zip it shut leaving the straw in, then I suck out all the air and quickly withdraw the straw and close the zip.  I am planning to buy twice as much of freezable produce as I would regularly, one to eat, one to freeze for winter.


             Tonight we roasted a bird, potatoes and enjoyed it with a cucumber salad. I love chicken on the BBQ, but tonight our propane tank ran out, luckily my strong and handsome husband was home to haul the back up tank from the garage to the deck- a job that would have had me cursing a blue streak.

    
This was our dinner before it hit our plates.




1 comment: