Thursday, July 15, 2010

On The Road Again...

I didn't take in to account the amount of travelling we do in the summer when I took on this project and now we've run in to a conundrum...how we will work Eat Local dinners in to our stay at the family cottage over the next week or so? We take turns cooking dinner, so I have no say in the menu for half the week. I also have to feed three other family members, one of which is an incredibly picky eater and one isn't a fan of veggies. Keith suggested we Eat Local for the dinners we have to cook and then Eat Local for either breakfast or lunch, which are usually informal eat-what-you-want on the other days. Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. This of course means I'm going to have to pack a lot of food from home to take with us....there won't be much available where we're going. We are looking forward to stopping in to the Thornloe Cheese Factory on our way by and I want to stop in at the big buffalo in Earlton to see what I can find at Boreal Cuisine (their website is down right now), a small shop that offers local food and products.  Hopefully there will be some small farm stands open between here and there as well. Luckily we received some more substantial goodies in our CSA box last night, like potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower and I stocked up on flour, butter, honey, canned tomatoes and sour cream at ELS.  I roasted a chicken from Dalew's (yummy, yummy) and we are going to take one of their big hams with us. It's also blueberry season and our cottage is surrounded by them, so I foresee us eating a lot of those...poor us!!  I think we will do perfectly fine. I will only have Internet access a few times over the week, so I will update the blog when I can.


Dinner last night was left-over pork...and Nana's Kettle corn. ;-)


Oh...and one more interesting development....I received an e-mail yesterday from Megan Thompson at the CBC asking if we'd be interested in doing a radio interview about our project! How exciting!!


So off we go on another adventure. I hope Shannon D. has a lot to report while I'm gone!


Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment