Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Quick Update While In Civilization

It is rainy today so we are in town doing some laundry and errands. We've had beautiful weather so far this week which has lent itself to picking bucket loads of blueberries. We've made blueberry jam, blueberry upside-down cake, blueberry-peach crisp and eaten blueberries in our cereal, and blueberries right off the plants while picking. Keith had to go back home to work yesterday, so he brought several bags full with him to wash and freeze before people started eating those too!!

Our Eat Local meals went pretty well. We made our own pizza, ate the pickerel we caught last time we were up here, and a ham from Dalew's. We brought veggies from the farm with us as well, and stopped at Thornloe Cheese to pick up a beautiful variety of cheeses....smoked mozzarella and sundried tomato and herb being our new favourites. We also picked up a loaf of fresh bread, which like Shannon D. pointed out in one of her last posts, is a heck of a lot better than buying from the grocery store. I'm almost out of my precious eggs from Dalew's now (I actually felt a little posesive about them when my Dad pulled some out for his lunch...the're my eggs!! I forgot to mention to him that fresh eggs are hard to peal when boiled, he was more than a little frustrated with them, so I don't think he'll be touching them again), which meant I had to pick up free-range eggs from the grocery store today. I shook my head when I read the package...free-range being they live in a barn and can move around as they please. Nothing like the hens we see at Dalew's who are out in the grass eating bugs, soaking up the sun and doing all the things chickens like to do. Sigh. Shannon D. is picking up our next dozen eggs from Dalew's tonight though, so there will be more in my fridge when we get home.

Well the washing machine just finished, must go transfer to the dryer. Not sure if I can check in again before Sunday but I'll be looking forward to Shannon D's posts when I get home!

Shannon A.

No comments:

Post a Comment